Recreational pass to be required to visit wildlife parks | Environment
EUFAULA, AL (WTVM) - Beginning January 1, 2012, a Georgia Outdoor Recreational Pass will be required to use 32 properties (list below) owned by the Wildlife Resources Division.
The properties are Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) and Public Fishing Areas (PFAs). Each is managed for wildlife and wildlife habitat, and funded mostly by revenue from hunting and fishing licenses. Secondary uses, such as hiking, cycling, caving, bird watching and many other such activities, are also allowed.
The Georgia Outdoor Recreational Pass (GORP) will help the Wildlife Resources Division cover the maintenance costs of properties that experience heavy traffic from secondary users.
GORP fees are:
- GORP 3-Day: $3.50
- GORP Plus Fishing: $3.50
- GORP Annual: $19
- Small Group,* 3-Day: $10
- Small Group, Annual: $35
*A Small Group equals 8 people or fewer.
BEST VALUE: Buy a GORP Plus, which includes a 3-day Fishing/Hunting License, for the same price and enjoy fishing privileges while on the property!
The GORP is available for purchase now, and takes effect January 1, 2012. Passes can be purchased at www.georgiawildlife.com, by calling (800) 366-2661 or by visiting a license retail agent, listed on the website.
A pass will be required for people ages 16-64. You do not need a pass if you are in possession of a valid WMA License, Honorary License, Sportsmen’s License, Lifetime License or Three-Day Fishing/Hunting License.
New User Fee Areas
Listed by area, facilities where GORP is required within the area, and county. Wildlife Management Area (WMA), Public Fishing Area (PFA) and Natural Area (NA).
1. Hannahatchee WMA, Shooting Range, Stewart County
2. Big Lazer Creek WMA, Shooting Range and PFA, Talbot County
3. Big Hammock WMA, Shooting Range, Tattnall County
4. Beaverdam WMA, Shooting Range, Laurens County
5. Bullard Creek WMA, Shooting Range, Jeff Davis County
6. Chickasawhatchee WMA, Shooting Range, Baker County
7. Clayhole Swamp WMA, Campground and Ponds, Glynn County
8. Clybel WMA, Entire Area including Marben PFA but excluding Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center, Jasper County
9. Crockford-Pigeon Mountain WMA, Entire Area, Walker County
10. Dawson Forest WMA, North of GA Hwy 53, Dawson County
11. Dixon Memorial WMA, Shooting Range, Ware County
12. Dodge County PFA, Entire Area, Dodge County
13. Evans County PFA, Entire Area, Evans County
14. Flat Creek PFA, Entire Area, Houston County
15. Grand Bay WMA, Entire Area, Lowndes County
16. Altamaha WMA, Butler and Champney Islands and McGowan Lake Tract, McIntosh County
17. Hugh M. Gillis PFA, Entire Area, Laurens County
18. J.L. Lester WMA, Entire Area, Polk County
19. Mayhaw WMA, Shooting Range, Miller County
20. McDuffie PFA, Entire Area, McDuffie County
21. McGraw Ford WMA, Entire Area, Cherokee County
22. Ocmulgee WMA, Shooting Range and PFA, Pulaski County
23. Paradise PFA, Entire Area, Berrien County
24. Rich Mountain WMA - Cartecay Tract, Entire Area, Gilmer County
25. Richmond Hill WMA, Shooting Range, Bryan County
26. Silver Lake WMA (NA), Riding Trails Access, Decatur County
27. Sprewell Bluff WMA, East of the Flint River, Upson County
28. Tuckahoe WMA, Campground, Screven County
29. Walton WMA, Shooting Ranges, Walton County
30. Wilson Shoals WMA, Shooting Range, Banks County
31. Yuchi WMA, Shooting Range, Burke County
32. Zahnd WMA (NA), Entire Area, Walker County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Domestic violence increases during holiday season
- Have a blast this Saturday at the Coca-Cola Space Science Center!
- Columbus Cottonmouths deliver gifts to Midtown Medical Center
- Columbus Council moves forward with Riverwalk redevelopment, zip line on the way
- Friends, family remember Kenneth Walker 10 years after his death