Live artillery shell found near Eufaula | Military
BARBOUR COUNTY, AL - Sheriff's Deputies found a live artillery shell near Eufaula on Friday, June 8.
Barbour County Sheriff's deputies went out to a call on the 400 block of Highway 131. The caller said they saw something that looked like an artillery shell while digging underground.
The local fire marshall was called. When he heard about a possible bomb, he immediately contacted the Dothan Police Department Bomb Squad, who were on the scene within an hour.
The bomb squad identified the object as a military artillery shell and notified the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team on Fort Benning.
When that team arrived, they found that the shell still had a live charge and moved everyone to a safe distance immediately. They then destroyed the shell with explosives.
The Barbour County Sheriff's Office would like to remind you that If you or anyone discovers a questionable object such as this, contact local law enforcement and allow trained professionals to identify the object before you attempt to move it.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Local university prepares for dangerous storms, builds shelters
- Ribbon cutting ceremony for new Children's Department at Phenix City Library
- Local 11th graders build playground for students with special needs
- Beer shoplifter pepper-sprays Piggly Wiggly employees
- Sgt. 1st Class Donald Wilson laid to rest